Calabaza Con Acelgas
A low-cal meal packed full of vegies
- 400g pumpkin
- olive oil
- 1 ½ tsp butter
- Salt and pepper
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ red onion, diced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- 1 tsp fresh chilli, freshly chopped
- 75g wild mushrooms, chopped
- 100g rainbow chard, leaves and stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 ½ tbsp pumpkin seeds, dry-fried
- Handful of coriander
- Heat oven to 180⁰C.
- Cut pumpkin into wedges and place in a roasting tray, drizzles with a little olive oil, salt, pepper, oregano and cumin.
- Roast for 30 minutes, or until softened. Heat butter and lightly fry onion, garlic, chilli until tender, then add mushrooms and continue cooking until softened.
- Add chard and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Serve spiced pumpkin wedges with the chard mixture, a scatter of pumpkin seeds and fresh coriander.
133 calories per serve
Adapted from The Fast Diet Recipe Book by Mimi Spencer and Sarah Schenker
This low-cal recipe is packed full of healthy vegies. It's based on a Mexican tapa dish. Pumpkins are rich in carotenoids including beta carotene which is a precursor to vitamin A and an anti-oxidant. All of the vegies are full of fibre for optimal gut health. The silverbeet is a good source of vitamins A, C and K. Vitamin K is important for blood clotting. In a healthy gut, K1 is converted to vitamin K2, which is also important for bone health. Coriander is an excellent blood cleanser and helps to chelate heavy metals. Onion, garlic and chillis are natural anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory spices.