Chilli Silverbeet and Chickpeas with Whole Roasted Garlic
A healthy vegetarian meal for low-cal days
- 2 whole heads of garlic
- 1 tsp butter or coconut oil
- 200g silverbeet, stalks removed and chopped, leaves rolled and sliced into fine ribbons
- Salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 200g tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Pinch of saffron
- ½ tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 180⁰C and roast whole heads of garlic until sweet and sticky – about 25 minutes.
- You can do this a little in advance.
- Heat butter/oil in a large pan or wok.
- Stir-fry chard stalks, season, then add leaves.
- Cook until wilted and allow to cool on a side plate.
- Add chopped garlic, spring onion, cumin and chilli to the same pan.
- Fry for minute, then add chickpeas, lemon juice and zest, saffron and paprika.
- Return the chard to the pan and mix well, being sure to scrape in any stickiness at the bottom of the pan.
- Serve with the sweet, soft roasted garlic.
145 calories per serve
Adapted from The Fast Diet Recipe Book by Mimi Spencer and Sarah Schenker
Silverbeet is high in vitamins A, C , K and folate, and minerals, magnesium, calcium, potassium, manganese and silica. The chickpeas are an excellent source of plant protein and fibre. All of that fabulous garlic, rich in anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories. It will lower high blood pressure and elevated LDL cholesterol. The onion and chilli are also anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant spices. Paprika will increase the metabolic rate, making it easier to lose weight.