Fiery Roasted Gazpacho
A Low Cal Summer Soup Full of Flavour and Nutrition
- 1 red capsicum, deseeded and coarsely chopped
- 300g red tomatoes, ideally a mix of varieties
- ½ cucumber (150 – 200g), chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 2 tbsps red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6 ice cubes (if you’re in a hurry)
- 2 tsp paprika
- Salt and pepper
- To garnish:Finely chopped cucumber, tomato and spring onion
- First oven-roast the tomatoes, capsicum and chilli, sprinkled with paprika.
- Allow to cool and blend with all other ingredients.
113 calories per serve
To make a heartier meal and include protein, serve with a sprinkle of 50g crab meat (add 40 calories) and lemon zest: or with a chopped hard-boiled egg (add 60 calories) and a pinch of salt.
This soup is the very essence of summer and a very simple recipe full of nutrition. The tomatoes, red capsicum and chilli are great sources of lycopene. Garlic, onions and olive oil are natural anti-inflammatories.
Recipe adapted from The Fast Diet Recipe Book by Mimi Spencer and Sarah Schenker