Green Lentil Dahl with Mint
A delicous low-cal version of this vegetarian dish
- 250g green lentils, rinsed
- 800ml cold water
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 white onion, thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- Mint and parsley to serve
- Put lentils in a pan with cold water and bring to the boil.
- Skim off froth, then stir in the turmeric.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally until you have a puree.
- Add a little boiling water if too thick.
- Heat butter in a small frying pan and fry cumin seeds for a minute, then add onion and saute for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add onion mix to cooked lentils. Season and serve topped with plenty of mint and parsley.
224 calories per serve
Adapted from The Fast Diet Recipe Book by Mimi Spencer and Sarah Schenker
Dahl is full of protein-packed lentils that are also high in satiating fibre. Turmeric contains curcumin, a powerful anti-inflammatory thought to help prevent dementia and cancer. It is more bio-available if cooked with oil and black pepper. Parsley is a good source of vitamin C and has detoxification properties.