Red Tomato Dahl
A lovely low-cal vegetarian meal
- ½ tsp butter or olive oil
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- Pinch of chilli flakes
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 500g tomatoes, skinned and roughly chopped
- 75g red lentils
- 600ml water
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- Chopped tomato and spring onion to serve
- Heat oil/butter in a saucepan and brown the onion.
- Stir in turmeric, cumin, mustard seed and chilli flakes and cook gently for another minute.
- Add garlic, tomatoes and lentils.
- Stir in water and simmer for 30 minutes, adding more water if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Season and serve with coriander, tomato and spring onion.
190 calories per serve
This can also be loosened with vegie stock to make a nutritious soup
Adapted from The Fast Diet Recipe Book by Mimi Spencer and Sarah Schenker
This lentil dish is full of protein and soluble fibre. Lentils are satiating and help to stabilise blood sugar. Turmeric is a powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory. Its high consumption in India is thought to protect against dementia. The onions, chilli and garlic are also rich in anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Tomatoes contain high levels of lycopene, a phytochemical shown to protect against prostate cancer. Coriander helps to bind to heavy metals, assisting in removing them from the body.