Orange and Almond Cake
Looking for a gluten free, dairy free celebration cake? This zesty orange and almond cake is the perfect solution. Full of folate and B12, for DNA synthesis and neurological function, and calcium, which is required for strong, healthy bones and cardiac function, it’s a hit for any occasion.
Makes 1 cake
- 2 large oranges (choose fruit with no blemishes as the whole fruit is used)
- 5 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups (250g) caster sugar
- 2 ½ cups (250g) almond meal
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Place two whole oranges in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, ensuring oranges remain covered with water.
- Drain and cool. Chop oranges into quarter, slicing off any blemishes and the core. Discard any seeds, then place chunks in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Grease and a line a small-medium sized cake pan
- Beat eggs with sugar until thick, then add orange puree, almond meal and baking powder and mix well.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. Leave cake to firm in the pan for 20 minutes, then turn out, removing baking paper. The cake mellows with time and can be prepared up to 48 hours in advance.
- To serve, sift icing sugar on top, and if desired, decorate with orange zest and almonds.
Per Serve (1 slice)
Saturated Fat 1g